Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Tomato-Basil Salad

While scrolling through pintrist this evening I ran across a salad someone had posted and remembered I love caprese and eat them 3 seasons, they are easy, tasty & pretty.  This post is about one in particular that I have only made once, but will for sure do again as it was very unique to the eye and taste.
  
I was planning a dinner for girlfriends, on a warm late summer day.   I love making tomato, mozzarella, basil (caprese) salads.    So I went shopping, making a stop at a new Trader Joe's in KC,  I wandered through the produce section looking for the tomato piles.    There to my amazement was a bin of brown tomatoes.   I have never heard of them before, so naturally I had to pick up a package.  The looked very different, I would say more of a dark green than brown.  I was just too curious about the taste and I thought they would look very pretty with red & yellow tomatoes in the salad. 


 I was very excited to cut them open and what a difference there was on the inside.... not very appealing actually, but would still provide great color for the salad and the size was perfect to be put together with the red & yellow tomatoes I had purchased.  I withheld judgement still till the end...

I made the salad using red tomato, yellow tomato, brown tomato, LOTS of fresh basil that I had clipped fresh that day.   Sprinkled with capers & Kosher salt then drizzled with grapefruit balsamic & blood orange olive oil.       The flavor of the brown tomato is even milder than the yellow, almost bland, however with mixed in the salad it was a nice mix.

The result was very very tasty & nothing short of beautiful..so I had to share here.

No comments:

Post a Comment