Thursday, January 27, 2011

Is there a light somewhere??

I have only had 2nd hand tables & chairs.  My current set was I'm guessing circa 1973, the table top was light butcher block with pea soup green square legs & same color corduroy chairs.   I purchased the set for 15.00 at a garage sale in about 1993.  In 1996, I pitched the chairs and found some cute bistro chars at a garage sale for 4.00 (for the set)   I grabbed the paint brush, purchased some fabric and the butcher block & pea green was erased.  I now had a very cute yellow table & chairs with new seat cushions in a beautifully Waverley plaid fabric.  

But all things must come to an end and now that 2010 was the time I had gone through a major life change, I decided my relationship with this table was over & it was time for us both to move on to new adventures in life. 

I made the decision & began the planning and shopping (online) around April or so.  I looked at hundreds of sets, read hundreds and hundreds of reviews.  I found a set I absolutely loved...I was so excited.  I had decided once things settled a bit I would place the order.   11/29/2010 was the day; I first thought I would order online, but I had a question about delivery so I called.  The lady on the other end of the phone was very nice & helpful.  All questions answered & the order was placed.   She even gave me an additional discount, everything was perfect!  The ship date was 12/7/10 and it should be delivered by 12/13/2010.  Delivery before Christmas and NY, wonderful, I had planned a NY day party and what fun to have a new dining set.  The gal that was taking my old table & chairs was going to come get the old set before Christmas....  I was so excited  a beautiful new table & chairs for my dining room.  Everything was falling in to place perfect.

Within days of placing the order, I received an email notification of a new ship date of  1/7/2011.   I was kind of bummed, but I did not have plans for people in my home over Christmas, so that was fine, I did not need the set before the Christmas/NY holiday.   The gal that was taking my table could wait till after NY no biggie, or I could use a little camping table.  It would work out fine.  

I called on Jan 9, 2011 to see if the table had been shipped because I had not received a tracking email as I was advised would be sent.   I received a call & email confirmation, item shipped.  Again I was excited, a new dining set...woo hoooooo.   Jan 14 2011, table delivered!   more excitement.   

Because the weather was extremely cold, I opened all the boxes and let the items acclimate to the house temps for a couple of days.  I then spent Friday & Saturday putting the chairs together.   LOTS of bolts to tighten with a tiny allen wrench...not fund days.   Then it came to getting the pedestal & legs together, however that did not happen.  The pedestal has 4 arched legs, that are the total support for the table, the actual pedestal does not touch the floor.   I say this because...every single leg had at least 2 cracks in them.   Rendering the table worthless.   I called the company, they asked if I wanted a refund or just partial refund and I could find someone to fix.  I asked if they could ship a new pedestal & legs, those items came boxed together, so I figured that one box could be resent.   It was, I received some time this afternoon, delivered by Fed Ex.  So I pack the box in and anxiously open it, unwrapping the end of the legs, to check for cracks.  To my dismay, every single leg is cracked.   I have now sent a not to the company asking for a full refund and let me know what needs to be done for refund & return.....   I sure hope this is not a hassle to get my money back.  Hopefully the biggest pain of this will be having to tear down these chairs.    Time will tell.

As for me now, I will get this settled, then I will be hitting the furniture stores.  I will purchase from a place that will deliver & set up the new, or I may check out the thrift stores first.  I have no problem recovering seat cushions if I can find a style of table & chair I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment